Frameworks support for Qt 5.12

Nicolas Fella nicolas.fella at gmx.de
Wed Jul 15 17:06:40 BST 2020

Hi,

I received a question on how long KF5 will continue to support Qt 5.12.

Given that 5.12 is an LTS release according to our policy it would be
supported "until the next Qt release after the next Qt release", which
would be 5.16, which will never exist.

Our policy states "With Qt6 this changes a little bit again. To avoid
supporting 5.12 LTS and 5.15 LTS for ever, 5.15 LTS will be the minimum
required version 18 months after its release.". This however does not
answer what will happen with 5.12.

If I remember correctly our intention when formalizing this was to
extrapolate the hypothetical releases and apply the existing rules to
it. This would mean that by the time Qt 5.16 would be released (6 months
after Qt 5.15) KF5 would drop support for Qt 5.12 and require 5.13.

Is my interpretation of this correct? If so the wiki page should be
updated with this information.

Cheers

Nico