KDE review for KWeatherCore

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau kossebau at kde.org
Mon Dec 21 15:13:54 GMT 2020

Am Montag, 21. Dezember 2020, 15:45:22 CET schrieb Nicolas Fella:
> On 12/21/20 3:19 PM, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:
> > My idea/proposal there is that the library internally makes use of that
> > demon. So code which uses KWeatherCore does not need to know that
> > implementation-wise there is a demon (which might also need to be a
> > build-time option, think app bundles who do not like separate demon
> > processes).
> > So the demon would not use KWeatherCore, but be a(n optional) backend part
> > of it.
>
> Please keep in mind that having such a daemon would be challenging to
> impossible to implement on Android and possibly other platforms as well.

That's what I tried to hint at with "(which might also need to be a build-time
option, think app bundles who do not like separate demon processes)."

> Let's not overengineer the wheel without having to and focus on use
> cases relevant for our current apps and less on hypothetical use cases.

A demon is not overengineered for this purpose IMHO, and I had thought quite a
bit how to overhaul the Plasma weather dataengine to make it sanely reusable
as system-wide service, just never got to the editor to implement things.
But those who do the code decide and can apply their favourite architectures
and whatever makes reaching a working product for them faster :)

Cheers
Friedrich