Proposing Quick Charts as a new framework

Arjen Hiemstra ahiemstra at heimr.nl
Thu Sep 5 20:48:55 BST 2019

On 02-09-2019 19:26, Luigi Toscano wrote:
> Arjen Hiemstra ha scritto:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have been working on a library the past few months that provides a
>> QtQuick
>> module for rendering gpu-accelerated charts. It currently lives in a
>> playground
>> repository, here: https://invent.kde.org/kde/kf5quickcharts . I would
>> like for
>> this library to be included as a Tier 1 Framework.
>
> Hi,
> I've noticed that some time ago (I didn't enable the translations yet,
> but
> maybe it's not needed).

There are only user-visible strings in the example application. I
haven't marked them
to be translated since it is only an example.

> I have a question and a comment:
>
> - what is the difference between this one and the existing
> kqtquickcharts,
> part of the KDE Applications bundle, from the KDEEdu project? At least
> their
> description overlaps. Is there any transition path? Having two
> duplicate
> libraries with the exact same goal may not be the best scenario.

The main difference is in the rendering methods: kqtquickcharts uses
QPainter for
rendering, Quick Charts uses a technique called Signed Distance Fields
to render
certain charts with GPU acceleration and others use pure QtQuick
scenegraph. I
don't know if it would have been possible to retrofit that on to
kqtquickcharts,
but my guess is it would have been a major overhaul of that library
anyway.

An additional issue is that kqtquickcharts seems to be unmaintained,
with the last
major feature work having been done several years ago. So my personal
opinion is
that when Quick Charts is accepted as part of Frameworks, we deprecate
kqtquickcharts as well as some other bits like the plotter item from
kdeclarative.

> - I don't think that "5" should be part of the name; in two years from
> now we
> may have a Frameworks 6, and having a kf5quickchart as part of it may
> be
> confusing.

That's actually a good point, though the kf5 is only in the repository
name, I
name it "Quick Charts" everywhere else. Which is probably a good reason
to have
the repo name changed in the first place. :) Originally, I put kf5 in
the repo
name because that's what is used once installed as part of Frameworks,
but I
agree that it can lead to confusing things.

Cheers,
Arjen