Developing an GLFW app that links makes use of KWindowEffects?

David Faure faure at kde.org
Sat Oct 26 22:04:12 BST 2019

On mercredi 16 octobre 2019 09:30:13 CEST Christian Parpart wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I hope I landed into the right channel (it's many many years ago I did
> stuff with KDE), so I've to apologize in advance, eventually. :-)
>
> I am developing an OpenGL / GLFW application (for highest platform
> independence and easiest porting efforts). It's basically a terminal
> emulator, and I want the background to be optionally transparent (done) but
> also blurred (done for windows, not linux/mac). I found out, that for KDE's
> konsole, it's not doing it by itself but using
> KWindowEffects::enableBlurBehind(...) instead, which is more or less how
> you do it on Windows 10 too. However, making use of it and linking against
> KF5::WindowSystem tells me that it couldn't find any plugins.
> *org.kde.kwindowsystem: Could not find any platform plugin*

That is "just" a deployment problem.

Did you build KWindowSystem yourself or use a Linux package?
In the first case, does `make install` show a file like
.../plugins/kf5/org.kde.kwindowsystem.platforms/KF5WindowSystemX11Plugin.so
?
And if this isn't in a standard location like /usr/lib, did you export
QT_PLUGIN_PATH to point to that plugins library? (without the kf5/org.[...])

> Also, I highly doubt I can just pump in the X11 `Window` (XID) handle to
> `enableBlurBehind`'s first param, but I couldn't figure how to construct a
> `WId` without fully transforming my program into a full KDE/Qt app.

Well, if you do have a X11 Window ID, I actually believe you can just pass
that, that's what Qt's WId means, on X11.

> Is there a way without fully converting into KDE app

This sentence, nowadays, doesn't mean what you think it does ;)
This app isn't developed by the KDE community, so it's not a KDE app, by
definition. You mean "without using other KF5 frameworks", and the answer is
yes, you can use KWindowSystem without using other KDE Frameworks.

Hope this helps,

Working on KDE Frameworks 5