Developing an GLFW app that links makes use of KWindowEffects?

Christian Parpart christian at parpart.family
Wed Oct 16 08:30:13 BST 2019

Hi guys,

I hope I landed into the right channel (it's many many years ago I did
stuff with KDE), so I've to apologize in advance, eventually. :-)

I am developing an OpenGL / GLFW application (for highest platform
independence and easiest porting efforts). It's basically a terminal
emulator, and I want the background to be optionally transparent (done) but
also blurred (done for windows, not linux/mac). I found out, that for KDE's
konsole, it's not doing it by itself but using
KWindowEffects::enableBlurBehind(...) instead, which is more or less how
you do it on Windows 10 too. However, making use of it and linking against
KF5::WindowSystem tells me that it couldn't find any plugins.

*org.kde.kwindowsystem: Could not find any platform plugin*

Also, I highly doubt I can just pump in the X11 `Window` (XID) handle to
`enableBlurBehind`'s first param, but I couldn't figure how to construct a
`WId` without fully transforming my program into a full KDE/Qt app.

Is there a way without fully converting into KDE app (I'd like to retain
platform independence, but at least get blur-behind feature on each
platform, with the least effort and code duplication).

Many thanks in advance,
Christian Parpart.