D22362: Port keystates to use QtWayland's generator

Aleix Pol Gonzalez noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Thu Oct 10 23:29:44 BST 2019

apol added a comment.

  In D22362#493722 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D22362#493722>, @davidedmundson wrote:

  > As some background:
  >
  > At a recent Plasma sprint, one comment was that adding protocols to KWayland was an absolute pain involving writing a tonne of boiler plate. My experience adding a protocol to Qt was relatively painless.
  >
  > We said we'd try on a really simple protocol.
  >
  > IMHO this looks encouraging.
  >
  > Obviously having a mix of styles isn't great, but something has to be first.
  >
  >  ----
  >
  > One thing we need to resolve is
  >
  > QtWaylandServer::org_kde_kwin_keystate
  >
  >   will call init which will call wl_global_create
  >

  > Global::Private will call wl_global_create
  >
  > Calling that twice is wrong.

  I was looking into this and realised it's not really easy to solve. The reason is that KWayland::Server::Global was designed to be able to expose the wl_global as if it was useful, but this is something you never do. The wl_global is private on the generated code so we can't access it. I'll provide a workaround for now to keep the conversation alive, but I'd say at least `operator wl_global*();` should get deprecated.

REPOSITORY
  R127 KWayland