D23800: Use ECMGenerateExportHeader to manage deprecated API better

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sun Oct 6 12:30:33 BST 2019

kossebau added a comment.

  @mpyne Thanks for the immediate review and testing

  In D23800#542391 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D23800#542391>, @mpyne wrote:

  > I encountered that excluding deprecated components from the build requires a version of x.y.z. (not just x.y) but other than that things were straightforward from a developer's perspective.

  Yes, that version precision mismatch (which I copied over from the Qt pattern for consistency) also left me a bit unhappy, as the z of x.y.z will be used with 0 value usually, as other values will/cannot make a difference. The argument I gave to myself is: deprecating API at patch-level versions does not make sense/needs support, so staying with x.y in the C++ preprocessor macros makes sense, also results in less macro implementation code. While at consumer side people would be using the hex number version value, where the z part is needed for the correct number (0xXXYYZZ vs 0xXXYY), so enforcing consumers to think in x.y.z pattern here makes sense.

REPOSITORY
  R244 KCoreAddons

BRANCH
  useECMGenerateExportHeader