New framework: KCalCore

Volker Krause vkrause at kde.org
Sun Apr 7 13:45:09 BST 2019

Hi,

I'd like to propose KCalCore for review to move from KDE PIM to KF5.

KCalCore is an implementation of the iCalendar standard based on libical,
covering the data model, input/output and the rather complex recurrence
algorithms defined in that standard. It's used outside of KDE PIM as well,
e.g. by Zanshin or the Plasma Mobile calendar app.

KCalCore depends on Qt and libical only, making it a Tier 1 functional
framework.

KCalCore used to be part of part of kdepimlibs in the KDE4 era, so it's well
prepared for complying with the API and ABI guarantees.

I'd suggest the same timeline as proposed for KContacts [1]. During the PIM
sprint we did a number of fixes and cleanups as part of the review for KF5
that make 19.08 the earliest release after which we can switch as well, so we
are looking at a switch in Sep/Oct this year.

Thanks,
Volker

[1] https://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kde-frameworks-devel/2019-April/084057.html