D15718: Do not index the path if the path has no execute permissions.

Nathaniel Graham noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Mon Sep 24 04:26:27 BST 2018

ngraham added a comment.

  In D15718#330844 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D15718#330844>, @smithjd wrote:

  > In D15718#330836 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D15718#330836>, @ngraham wrote:
  >
  > > Wouldn't this have the effect of un-indexing most files? A quick check of my documents (text, word processing, excel, etc) reveals that none of them have the execute bit set. As-is, I think this would render Baloo mostly useless.
  >

  > A default mask of 0002 or more permissive looks fairly common across distros, and is permissive enough to index files by default.
  >
  > setfacl -d -m u::rwx ~ or umask 0022 will set default execute permissions on created files. You can set something less permissive on your downloads directory or plasma vault mount with setfacl -d u::rw or similar.
  >
  > chmod -R 755 ~ will recursively give every file in your home directory execute permisions.

  You are proposing fundamentally breaking Baloo and then requiring that users or distros clean up our mess for us by making all their files executable--in the process reducing their own security. Sorry, but this is simply unacceptable.

  No part of this proposal makes any sense to me. We just can't do this.

REPOSITORY
  R293 Baloo