D16165: Don't crash on invalid exiv2 data

Stefan BrĂ¼ns noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sat Oct 13 19:22:50 BST 2018

bruns added a comment.

  In D16165#342522 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D16165#342522>, @poboiko wrote:

  > In D16165#342433 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D16165#342433>, @bruns wrote:
  >
  > > These three should be CCBUG: (not test file, not able to confirm fixed), while 375131 should be BUG: (confirmed and fixed).
  >

  > Wait. Those three are about the very same crash I was able to reproduce (and fix) on the other test data. I'm pretty sure, looking at backtrace, they are due to the same reason.
  >  (It's true that, without their test data I cannot be _completely_ sure, but looking at age of those bugs, I don't think users will be able to provide their files)
  >
  > While the other one is about baloo hanging, which I wasn't able to reproduce, that's why it's just CC'd.

  Unfortunately 375131 is quite vague, they all speak about "baloo" hanging, but as "baloo" is not a single process, it is impossible to tell for sure which process crashes or hangs.

  Apparent hangs of baloo_file are easy to produce, create a file 'baloo_file_extractor' with the following content:

    #! /bin/bash
    echo "S foobar"

  make it executable, and then (after killing the current baloo_file), run `PATH=./<path_with_fake_extractor> <path_to>/baloo_file`. When you run baloo_monitor, you will see it says "Indexing foobar", but will make no further progress as the fake extractor has exited (equivalent to a crash here).

  When you run baloo_file from build/bin, make sure you have the relevant baloo_file_extractor in the PATH first.

REPOSITORY
  R286 KFileMetaData