D10937: Retouching of Screen Layout Selection OSD Icons

Phil Stefan noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Thu Mar 1 11:25:30 UTC 2018

pstefan created this revision.
pstefan added a reviewer: Breeze.
pstefan added a project: VDG.
Restricted Application added a project: Frameworks.
Restricted Application added a subscriber: Frameworks.
pstefan requested review of this revision.

REVISION SUMMARY
  **Overview**
  The icons to be replaced and their replacement
  F5734722: Screenshot from 2018-03-01 11:46:17.png <https://phabricator.kde.org/F5734722>

  I found the current icons to have some issues that I tried to address with this revision:

  - Ambiguous symbolism
  - Inconsistent use of stroke thickness
  - Small arrowheads

  In the side to side comparison above it's demonstrated that IMHO the arrowheads are too small to make out at a glance. The shallow angle between the arrowhead and the arrow-body in the rotate icons, especially, make the arrowheads almost invisible.

  Another issue is the inconsistent use of stroke thickness, demonstrated in the image below.
  F5734732: Screenshot from 2018-03-01 11:52:43.png <https://phabricator.kde.org/F5734732>

  In my limited user testing (7 people), people did find the last 5 icons from the right to be ambiguous. I think this can mostly be attributed to the to the use of a projector screen as a symbol for external screens. The addition of the screen stand to the icons seemed to clear that confusion.

  **Personal Opinion**
  Personally I think that my icons are more in line with the spirit of the breeze icon style. The breeze HIG calls for icons that represent actions to be monochromatic and mostly use a stroke thickness of 1px. While the HIG specifies that this only applies to 16x16 icons, I feel that in this special case it's more appropriate to design these icons for their native 64x64px size instead of trying to design them at 16x16 and then scale them up by a factor of 4. Which leads to tick and clunky looking icons.
  These icons will never be shown in an 16x16px area, so we might as well make use of the additional space.
  IMHO this makes for much cleaner, lighter icons as one usually associates with breeze icons.

  **Summary**
  Pro:

  - Ambiguous symbolism
  - Inconsistent use of stroke thickness
  - Small arrowheads

  Con:

  - Deviate from current style for icons this size

TEST PLAN
  I tested the "new" icons with 7 people, all of which reported that this revision improves the symbol of the icons.

REPOSITORY
  R266 Breeze Icons

AFFECTED FILES
  icons-dark/applets/64/osd-duplicate.svg
  icons-dark/applets/64/osd-rotate-ccw.svg
  icons-dark/applets/64/osd-rotate-cw.svg
  icons-dark/applets/64/osd-rotate-flip.svg
  icons-dark/applets/64/osd-rotate-normal.svg
  icons-dark/applets/64/osd-sbs-left.svg
  icons-dark/applets/64/osd-sbs-sright.svg
  icons-dark/applets/64/osd-shutd-laptop.svg
  icons-dark/applets/64/osd-shutd-screen.svg
  icons/applets/64/osd-duplicate.svg
  icons/applets/64/osd-rotate-ccw.svg
  icons/applets/64/osd-rotate-cw.svg
  icons/applets/64/osd-rotate-flip.svg