D13757: Move parsing .desktop file for folder Comment to file KIO

David Faure noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Wed Jun 27 13:04:40 UTC 2018

dfaure added a comment.

  The problem is that now this is done for every single file being listed, rather than on demand. In a directory with 1000 subdirs, this would look for 1000 */.directory files, while the user is typically only going to hover one or two... I agree that blocking a different process is much better than blocking the GUI of course, I just worry about the overall impact on performance in the "normal" case (local dir, lots of subdirs).

  Maybe this should be done in process (so it's on demand) but with an async API, so the file reading/parsing can be done in a thread...
  Not really as part of KFileItem then, but a KIO::FetchFileCommentJob or something like that.

REPOSITORY
  R241 KIO