D12820: Add KWayland virtual desktop protocol

Roman Gilg noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Mon Jun 11 14:20:35 UTC 2018

romangg added a comment.

  We can remove every layout reference in the manager as well as in the VDs. I don't see the advantage then with a list in contrast to events desktopAdded / desktopRemoved and a done event. What is better about having an ordering? It's only relevant for the special case of having a "flow" of VDs over several lines, assumed we additionally share a single integer with the workspace (via config file or DBus).

  But if we decide to not have any layout reference in the VD protocol, then we should also not think about enabling this special case. Instead the VDs should be announced unordered and then a layout is shared with workspace (via config file or DBus).

  On the other side VDs without a layout are somewhat futile. Also what we achieve is just deferring the syncing step to the client, which still has to sync the Dbus/config change signal with the Wayland protocol events. One could argue it becomes even worse now over multiple channels.

  Still it could make sense because we have a minimal protocol this way as a start and can later extend it if we see problems with the Dbus/config side channel.

REPOSITORY
  R127 KWayland