D13899: KMessageWidget: use theme instead of hardcoded colours

René J.V. Bertin noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Mon Jul 16 14:36:10 BST 2018

rjvbb added a comment.

  This is what approach 1 looks like with (clockwise) Breeze Dark, Oxygen and Wonton Soup:

  F6110913: image.png <https://phabricator.kde.org/F6110913>

  Positive messages don't have an icon here because currently only the Breeze icon set has a "positive" icon. The absence doesn't disturb me here and may even be good if my assumption is correct that this kind of message should draw less attention than information messages.

  An actual (information) message in an actual context (using Breeze and my own colour scheme):

  F6110973: image.png <https://phabricator.kde.org/F6110973>

  F6110977: image.png <https://phabricator.kde.org/F6110977>

  Try as I might, I don't see how it could get any better from a design approach that favours non-intrusive interfaces (based on 10yo fond memories of Tufte's books). The slightly lighter or darker "normal" background with coloured border draws attention and helps giving urgency to the display but limits visual clutter compared to a coloured background. Text in the regular colour on the (almost) standard background means the message reads just as easily as any other text.

  Evidently one can obtain the same effect and more with approach 2 but the image above is obtained with only small modifications of the current patch.

REPOSITORY
  R236 KWidgetsAddons