D13899: KMessageWidget: use theme instead of hardcoded colours

Nathaniel Graham noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Mon Jul 16 05:51:11 BST 2018

ngraham added a comment.

  This patch works as advertised, and does not imposes any visual regressions when using the Breeze color scheme.

  And yet, when trying it out with non-default color schemes, I can't help but wonder what we're actually accomplishing here. While the Positive color message looks sane enough with all of the standard non-default color schemes that we ship with, the warning, negative, and informational message colors are all over the map, and a lot of them totally lose the intended meaning of the default colors. It becomes impossible to tell at-a-glance whether the message is good or bad or neutral by looking at its color, which is the whole point of using colors here. Here are some combinations that I think don't work at all:

  Informational message, Oxygen:
  F6109824: Info - Oxygen.png <https://phabricator.kde.org/F6109824>

  Informational Message, Steel:
  F6109826: Info - Steel.png <https://phabricator.kde.org/F6109826>

  Informational message, Wonton Soup:
  F6109829: Info - Wonton Soup.png <https://phabricator.kde.org/F6109829>

  Informational message, Honeycomb:
  F6109831: Info - Honeycomb.png <https://phabricator.kde.org/F6109831>

  Informational message, Norway:
  F6109833: Info - Norway.png <https://phabricator.kde.org/F6109833>

  Negative Message, Steel:
  F6109838: Negative - Steel.png <https://phabricator.kde.org/F6109838>

  Negative Message, Wonton Soup:
  F6109841: Negative - Wonton Soup.png <https://phabricator.kde.org/F6109841>

  Warning message: Honeycomb:
  F6109845: Warning - Honeycomb.png <https://phabricator.kde.org/F6109845>

  It's very easy for me to imagine 3rd-party color schemes and user-created color schemes producing equally nonsensical and impossible-to-parse color combinations.

  On one hand, that's their choice, right? But on the other hand, what do we gain from all this? What do the users gain?

  Since Kirigami already uses colors from the theme, I guess we need to follow suit here to maintain consistency. But especially for informational messages, the message's background color seems just totally wrong for quite a lot of color schemes.

REPOSITORY
  R236 KWidgetsAddons