D9070: KDE platform plugin: don't force default stylename on user-specified fonts

René J.V. Bertin noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sun Jan 28 12:14:19 UTC 2018

rjvbb added a comment.

  >   Unfortunately, this patch doesn't fix it. The text still isn't bold.

  No, this patch is written to be as transparent as possible. It won't impose a stylename, but will not remove it either.

  What happens when you remove the `,Regular`, i.e.

    [General]
    font=Noto Sans,7,-1,5,50,0,0,0,0,0

  Normally you should get a bold font again then?

  >   Workaround: enabling the line that calls QApplication::setDesktopSettingsAware(false).
  >   Proof that this code is guilty: commenting out the fromString line makes it work, too.

  Which line is that, where?

  >   What really confuses me is: why isn't it all set up so that this platform-plugin code provides *default* fonts, and so that what apps do overrides that?

  That is what used to be the case, and that's why I think the commit that added the setStyleName call to kfontsettingsdata.cpp ought to be reverted. (I haven't gone back to re-read the commit message, but IIRC it was mostly made to align with the way fonts are saved, without questioning whether they should always be saved like that.)

  I'd be happy to modify the patch so it strips the style names from the initial-defaults table as well as the call to setStyleName(). I could even go so far as to add code that strips the styleName if the font can be represented without it - but this also has a side-effect.

REPOSITORY
  R135 Integration for Qt applications in Plasma