D9070: KDE platform plugin: don't force default stylename on user-specified fonts

René J.V. Bertin noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sat Jan 27 10:31:07 UTC 2018

rjvbb added a comment.

  A diagonally related anecdote that shows this location is a more central point in the font selection process than I thought first:

  Applications like Qt's Assistant that call for Helvetica often end up using a font that looks pixelated - because it's actually an embedded bitmap version. I only saw that under X11 and always wrote that off to a missing font though the fact that scaling up the text solved the issue appeared strange.
  Then I noticed it too on Mac during my comparisons of the CoreText and Freetype font engines.

  One solution to this particular issue (itself unrelated to style names) is to use the ForceOutline style strategy when the Freetype engine is used. I implemented that in my Mac version of the platform integration plugin, right next to where this patch applies. That was mostly to be exhaustive (there is no way to set this as a global strategy applying to all current and future fonts). I was surprised to see that it apparently applies to the result of all font lookups.

REPOSITORY
  R135 Integration for Qt applications in Plasma