D10512: try to preload certain applets in a smart way

David Edmundson noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Wed Feb 14 20:18:44 UTC 2018

davidedmundson added inline comments.

INLINE COMMENTS

> appletquickitem.cpp:789
> +        if (!d->applet->isContainment()) {
> +            applet()->config().writeEntry(QStringLiteral("PreloadWeight"), qMin(d->preloadWeight() + s_preloadWeigthIncrement, 100));

So if you ever open the any applet slightly more than every alternate login (at any point during that session) over time it'll become blocking preloaded on boot?

Your login to desktop will just get slower and slower until it's ultimately loading everything.

---

I'm against doing any hacks without prior profiling.

If we find plasma-pa (for example) gains a lot at no cost, great! Add the entry.

If we find plasma-pa loaded in a nanosecond anyway, and takes up 10Mb of RAM to do so, then it's a very silly thing to do.

I'd like to see some numbers for every applet we add it to, I don't think the shell is in a position to do this automatically.

REPOSITORY
  R242 Plasma Framework (Library)