D14643: Bump the minimum logging category to Warning

David Faure noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Mon Aug 6 22:35:49 BST 2018

dfaure added a comment.

  In D14643#304608 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D14643#304608>, @ltoscano wrote:

  > I was under the impression that we were generally moving towards less chatty components by default, which included having Warning as minimum default level.
  >  Unfortunately I don't remember anymore how I've got this idea, but I remember some patches setting the default level to Warning.
  >  Is there then an official policy for Frameworks? And outside Frameworks?

  ECM defines the policy: the default severity is Info.

  Since qCInfo is very rarely used, Info or Warning doesn't make a huge difference per se, it's just more correct that info works out of the box.
  AFAICS the patches that set the default level to Warning were back when the default was actually Debug (before the ECM macro, or for code that doesn't use it)...

  > It is true that Debian dropped the default qtlogging.ini file, but the first feedback from Fedora, for example, showed a strong desire of non-chatty at all.
  >  If you think that this can be achieved by reevaluating all the current qCInfo to fit them to qCDebug, then I will write more specific patches (in this case, for example, kf5.kio.favicons is too chatty; another case is kf5.kservice.sycoca).

  I don't see any qCInfo in KIO or in KService. I think you're still referring to qCDebugs or qDebugs there.
  In fact the only qCInfo usage in KF5 is in plasma-framework (and it's indeed wrong, these look like debug statements, feel free to port them to qCDebug).

  > But an official policy would be needed at least for Frameworks.

  I made it official in the ECM macro ;-)

REPOSITORY
  R241 KIO