D10694: epubextractor: Handle multiple subjects better

Michael Heidelbach noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Thu Apr 19 18:15:41 UTC 2018

michaelh added inline comments.

INLINE COMMENTS

> bruns wrote in epubextractor.cpp:85
> I think we should add each title individually (there may be one per language).
>
> Dito for all other properties, see below.

I think we should port away from libepub. Multiple titles result in one ';'-joined string.
Also it seems to be unmaintained.

> bruns wrote in epubextractor.cpp:97
> This looks a little bit inconsistent - if we have only one value, we add the value to two different Properties, otherwise only Keywords is used.
>
> DublinCore uses subject and keywords synonymously. It //recommends// to use one property entry per keyword.
>
> See Recommendation 5 of http://dublincore.org/documents/dc-xml-guidelines/
> and e.g. http://dublincore.org/groups/collections/collection-application-profile/#coldcsubject
>
> I think we should stick with either Subject or Keywords, but not both.

Right, this inconsistency is intentional, and it needs discussion. That's why I added a comment in D12197 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D12197> which was probably overlooked.
DC and IDPF aren't very clear on how to use `dc:subject`. Calibre interprets it as tags, My impression is, that most provider also do. Hence I prefer to use `Property::Keywords` only because it comes closest imo. That change would not really be breaking as currently `Property::Subject` is one large string joined with ';'.

REPOSITORY
  R286 KFileMetaData

BRANCH
  multi-subject