D12077: Show view mode buttons and a sort menu in the open/save dialog's toolbar

Nathaniel Graham noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Wed Apr 11 13:38:55 UTC 2018

ngraham added a comment.

  In D12077#244140 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D12077#244140>, @rkflx wrote:

  > I brought this up before, but let me repeat: It is of utmost importance to test with the default settings, i.e. default font size and default dialog size (remove `~/.config/kate*` for that).

  Actually, the file is `~/.config/kdeglobals`, and the pertinent information is in the  under the `[KFileDialog Settings]` section.

  Your current version does not look good, despite what you show in your screenshot in the summary:

  > F5803932: kio-toolbar.png <https://phabricator.kde.org/F5803932>

  I //did// test with default settings. The slider is fully visible, though I'll admit that the whitespace could be improved.

  F5804274: Spectacle.b15974.png <https://phabricator.kde.org/F5804274>

  (...along with a lot of the other papercuts you can see in that screenshot)

  > Note that I'm not saying your intention in this patch is wrong. But as there is only so much space available, you need to prioritize what can be shown. By default, there should be no overflow arrow in the toolbar too. Ideas:
  >
  > - Sorting is irritating, this needs an icon, e.g. `view-sort-descending`, `object-order-back` or an entirely new icon. OTOH I wonder if this entry is needed at all, because for Detailed View you could simply click on the table headers.

  Yes that's true, I had thought about that, but in Short View there is no obvious way to configure the sorting, and the little configure menu in the corner is something that only experts use (it may get a little better once the icon is at least better as depicted in my screenshot, see D12034 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D12034>).

  For now I'll remove the sort button and do that in another patch.

  > - The slider should get a minimum size.

  Not related to this patch, but I can think about it.

  > - There should still be a good amount of whitespace between what's on the left and on the right side of the toolbar. This separation into groups results in faster navigation in the UI and helps in making it feel less crowded.

  > Please resist the urge to put everything in the toolbar. Configuring the dialog is //not// a regular task, so using the Configure button is fine too. Only the most important settings should be shown.

  This was going to be it, don't worry. :) Configuring the dialog is only not a regular task because the interface to do so is currently hidden behind a sub-menu to a menu that's only revealed by clicking on an unlabeled button with an inscrutable icon. That may be "powerful when needed", but it's certainly not "simple by default".

  Mac users change the view modes on their open/save dialogs all the time; I've seen them effortlessly do it for 20 years, because the view mode buttons are visible by default. A KDE contributor up-thread even admitted that he didn't know this functionality existed! That's definitely the sign of an interface that could stand to benefit from being made more obvious.

REPOSITORY
  R241 KIO