D7446: Add a Recent Documents places item to Dolphin and file pickers by default

Mark Gaiser noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Fri Sep 22 21:24:16 UTC 2017

markg added a comment.

  In https://phabricator.kde.org/D7446#148059, @ngraham wrote:

  > I don't think this is "semi-useful". " A Recent Documents feature in the file manager and open/save dialogs is IMHO really important, especially for lesst-technical users who use features like this on other platforms expensively instead of making extensive use of folder hierarchies. "The user can add it" is a problematic response since 99.9% of users don't know this exists, and therefore don't know that this functionality is available in the first place (and if they did, they would find it challenging to add).
  >
  > The file managers and open/save dialogs in macOS and GNOME both have some kind of "recent stuff" feature shown by default, and it's really nice. And ad evidenced by the but report and the fact that people have voted for it, this is a desirable feature to some of our users.

  As i said, as a "link" i see no use for it.
  As a separate panel, i do see a use for it, but still not enabled by default imho.

  Also, really, look at the output of recentdocuments:/ In my case i have the following issues:

  1. It shows a folder. (my home downloads folder). Clicking it shows a "The file or folder recentdocuments:/Downloads does not exist." (it's text is /hom/mark/Downloads which does exist on my local drive! Also, why does a folder show up in recentdocuments amyhow, it's not a "document".
  2. just 1 file in the list! (i only have 9 entries, guess i don't open much files, hehe)
  3. Everything else is web links
  4. The error as said in 1. can be closed however many times you want, it keeps reappearing if you press https://phabricator.kde.org/F5 or enter "recentdocuments:/" again. It only goes away if you close the error, go to another location and then to recentdocuments:/

  How can you possibly want to present that to the user by default? Let me put it this way, the ioslave "probably" hasn't seen much development. It needs some love to be suitable for a real recent documents and even be considered to put in the places panel.

REPOSITORY
  R241 KIO