D8544: KTextEditor : avoiding QML crashes

René J.V. Bertin noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Tue Oct 31 12:12:48 UTC 2017

rjvbb added a comment.

  >     static const bool forceMoth = !qEnvironmentVariableIsEmpty("QV4_FORCE_INTERPRETER") ||
  >                                   !OSAllocator::canAllocateExecutableMemory();
  >
  >   That means on the first invocation that is cached for ever.

  Damn, I must have missed the `static`, I was certain that the check was performed each time. Wishful thinking, maybe.

  >   in the editor singleton on first instantiation and even then this only helps if no other part of the application did execute a script in advance.

  There must be a way to do this with a shared library initialisation routine that's executed when the library is loaded. I've used that feature on Mac and Linux and it's possible on MSWin too.

  The statement could be repeated in the editor singleton for cases where the library is deployed in a static build.

  Both approaches (and the combined approach) will be easier to implement than my current patch.

  >   And it will degenerate performance for the complete application if it works at all :/

  Lesser performance is always better than no ("fully degraded") performance at all, but apparently the penalty isn't so big. It's not noticeable for KTE scripts, and the Gentoo guys apparently deem it an acceptable trade-off as well.

  "Applications using KTextEditor won't support the fastest possible QML performance with older Qt versions". Sounds reasonable to me (and we could always document how to patch QtDeclarative to make that statement above non-static.)

REPOSITORY
  R39 KTextEditor