D8544: KTextEditor : avoiding QML crashes

Christoph Cullmann noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Tue Oct 31 11:53:21 UTC 2017

cullmann added a comment.

  Hi, first: thanks for working on getting the crashs for older versions away.

  To the changes:

  1. if the small change to cstyle.js helps to workaround bugs, feel free to commit that part.

  2. for the disabler: I think that is not usable in the way it is done, sorry.

  If you look at the code of qt, the check for the env var works like:

  qtdeclarative/src/qml/jsruntime/qv4engine.cpp

    static const bool forceMoth = !qEnvironmentVariableIsEmpty("QV4_FORCE_INTERPRETER") ||
                                  !OSAllocator::canAllocateExecutableMemory();

  That means on the first invocation that is cached for ever.
  If we want to use this approach, we can try to e.g. do a

  qputenv("QV4_FORCE_INTERPRETER", QByteArrayLiteral("1"));

  in the editor singleton on first instantiation and even then this only helps if no other part of the application did execute a script in advance.
  And it will degenerate performance for the complete application if it works at all :/

REPOSITORY
  R39 KTextEditor