D8519: do not make the context menu a Window; do not force raise a window

David Edmundson noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Fri Oct 27 12:31:09 UTC 2017

davidedmundson requested changes to this revision.
davidedmundson added a comment.

  > The removal of the force activation is done since according to kwin maintainer it is wrong and must be done by the SysTray itself.

  But according the the status notifier item maintainer (defacto me), we cannot do this. It will break too many things.

  The SNI spec is used by Unity 7, Gnome, and Plasma. Can we guarauntee their trays do this? (in fact even Plasma doesn't currently do this!)

  I know it's putting you in the middle of an argument, which is unfair on you, sorry.

  forceActiveWindow may be bad, but it works. It's not really focus stealing if we explicitly know the user performed the action.  In an ideal world the original SNI spec would have passed a timestamp...and blah blah, but yeah.

  For Wayland this won't work and will do nothing, which is fine. We do need to fix that properly in a different manner, but lets not break X in the meantime.

REPOSITORY
  R289 KNotifications