Adding build info attribute to KAboutData to improve bug report data?

Kevin Funk kfunk at kde.org
Mon Oct 16 08:11:16 UTC 2017

On Monday, 16 October 2017 07:10:29 CEST Luca Beltrame wrote:
> Il giorno Sun, 08 Oct 2017 19:45:00 +0200
>
> Kevin Funk <kfunk at kde.org> ha scritto:
> > Heya,
> >
> > The KDevelop team is currently discussing a patch which adds
> >
> > git-describe like information to the version string in KAboutData:
> >   https://phabricator.kde.org/D8158
> >   (don't bother reading through the comments...)
>
> Is it added at compile time? I didn't read through the diff yet, but
> how would you define a "development" build?

> This is to make sure that no such things are put in released versions,
> which would cause problems with reproducible builds.

See:
  https://phabricator.kde.org/D8158

We'd like to add version information such as:
  "5.1.80-24-g6e3cfe2421"

If Git's HEAD is checked out at a tag (i.e. v5.1.2), then I wouldn't set that
attribute at all.

Though even "5.1.80-24-g6e3cfe2421" should be fine when striving for
reproducible builds. The Git SHA1 doesn't change after all, if you haven't
modified the Git history.

I wouldn't put the 'build time' or similar things there, to begin with (which
would cause problems with reproducible builds, obviously).

tl;dr: It's up to the individual project how to set that build information
attribute. Probably makes sense to add little hints about reproducible builds
to that attribute's API documentation.

Regards,
Kevin