D5802: ViewPrivate, KateSearchBar, KateVi::MatchHighlighter: use selection foreground for search highlights

Ivan Shapovalov noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Wed May 10 22:50:01 UTC 2017

intelfx created this revision.
Restricted Application added subscribers: Frameworks, kwrite-devel.
Restricted Application added a project: Frameworks.

REVISION SUMMARY
  This is not an actual pull-request but rather an RFC (request for comments) from
  the KTextEditor, Kate and KDevelop developers, because I failed to solicit any
  feedback on the kdevelop-devel@ and kwrite-devel@ mailing lists.

  (http://kde.6490.n7.nabble.com/Properly-porting-Solarized-to-Kate-KDevelop-need-to-change-behavior-of-search-result-highlighting-td1655274.html)

  So, I'm trying to make an exact port of Solarized to Kate/KDevelop and it looks
  like Solarized is not compatible with Kate's search result highlighting behavior:
  it requires search/replace highlight regions to use selection foreground and not
  the normal one. You can find the details in the linked archive post.

  Moreover, seems like kdevplatform's context browser plugin hints at behavior
  sought by me (but implements it incorrectly).

  (https://github.com/KDE/kdevplatform/blob/master/plugins/contextbrowser/contextbrowser.cpp#L657)

  However, just making that change will make Kate/KDevelop incompatible with all
  existing color schemes. Hence, how do I proceed?

REPOSITORY
  R39 KTextEditor

BRANCH
  selection-foreground-for-search-highlights

AFFECTED FILES
  src/search/katesearchbar.cpp
  src/view/kateview.cpp
  src/vimode/emulatedcommandbar/matchhighlighter.cpp