[Differential] [Commented On] D4142: Support "default actions", as specified in [1].

Albert Vaca Cintora noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Mon Jan 16 18:18:25 UTC 2017

albertvaka added a comment.

  In https://phabricator.kde.org/D4142#77834, @broulik wrote:

  > Care needs to be taken that existing notifications don't suddenly behave differently but that moving from actions() to defaultAction() is a conscious and explicit choice in the application that emits the notification.

  I've already made sure that existing apps behave as they currently do. Even more: apps that decide to move from setActions to setDefaultAction will still display exactly the same way in Plasma, with an action button (until/unless we change the Plasmoid to honor the default action, which we can discuss when I submit the patch for the Plasmoid).

  In https://phabricator.kde.org/D4142#77832, @mart wrote:

  > code wise the change makes sense..
  >  that said, this assumes we do an important behavior change in our ui, which i don't think is a good thing, as is disregards completely how our users are used to, in the name of "other platforms do things differently".

  No, there is no change in our UI at all. In Plasma and KDE apps we can decide to never use this feature if we think that the UX is better that way, but IMO this is a generic (not Plasma-specific) framework and it should provide access to the functionality anyway. This is a really common use case for notifications on most platforms, so if we want that some day this framework can be useful on, for example, Android or Gnome, this is something we have to provide. I think that it would be good to adopt it on Plasma and KDE apps, but this is a completely different discussion that we can have on the mailing list.

  And no, I don't think that our users will freak out if we start behaving like every other notification system.

  In https://phabricator.kde.org/D4142#77861, @colomar wrote:

  > Hm, that's not easy to decide. Whether one likes the "click to make go away" behavior or not is highly subjective. I, for one, find it very annoying on e.g. OS  when a notification covers something I want to see on the screen and there is no way to make it go away other than waiting. Others find it annoying to have to explicitly click a button to execute the default action.

  Same thing: the framework giving access to this feature doesn't mean your app has to use it. Even more: it doesn't even change the behaviour in Plasma! In Plasma the default action will still appear as a button unless we change the plasmoid. This will, however, make it possible to use this feature on desktops that do support default actions.

REPOSITORY
  R289 KNotifications

EMAIL PREFERENCES