[Differential] [Commented On] D4663: Allow setting the timeout value.

Thomas Pfeiffer noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sat Feb 25 16:29:51 UTC 2017

colomar added a comment.

  > even Windows and Mac have deprecated them in favor of persistent notifications!
  >  Not only it's already implemented, but also it is what every major desktop and phone OS out there already use!

  SNIS != those legacy systray icons which were rightfully abolished. Systray icons are shown as long as an application is open (and with that they turn the syrtray into a secondary taskbar which makes no sense)

  An SNI may look the same, but the big difference is that it is only shown as long as a notification is present, so when used correctly, they do not clutter your systray with icons but instead give you a good overview of which applications want your attention, without ypu having to open a drawer which shows all notifications.

  I admit that what we currently have is more of an interim solution towards what Android does, and in the end SNIs should be merged with persistent notifications to get the full experience, but giving every application control over precisely how long a notification should be shown is not a good step in that direction.

REPOSITORY
  R289 KNotifications

EMAIL PREFERENCES