[Differential] [Commented On] D4663: Allow setting the timeout value.

Albert Vaca Cintora noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sat Feb 18 18:04:34 UTC 2017

albertvaka added a comment.

  I understand the potential of it being misused, even though I don't think we should treat developers as if they didn't know what they are doing. Also, if we want to have a maximum timeout, this is something that should be enforced on the server (ie: Plasma) instead of the client. There will be apps using libnotify or any other lib that can set their timeouts.

  The reason I added this is because in KDE Connect we show notifications when there is an incoming "pair request", and I wanted to make the notification stay there for as long as the request is valid. Since the notification is the only way to accept the pair request, I think it results in a bad user experience if the notification disappears before the user can act on it.

  There is an alternative solution to my use case: making the notification persistent and manually dismissing it when the request is no longer valid, but I've decided to not implement it this way because some notification servers don't support persistent notifications (eg: Ubuntu Unity).

  What do you think?

REPOSITORY
  R289 KNotifications

EMAIL PREFERENCES