D5439: API dox: more info about KAboutData's orgDomain/desktopFileName properties

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Thu Apr 13 21:52:04 UTC 2017

kossebau added a subscriber: dfaure.
kossebau added inline comments.

INLINE COMMENTS

> ltoscano wrote in kaboutdata.h:314
> The QApplication instance should happen before this line, not just before setApplicationData (that's what Albert was trying to explain).

Why should it happen before? (sorry for being stubborn and curious here, I want to make sure to understand all code, to then also write proper warnings in the dox when needed, so people know they should not create it before).

The thing I understood Albert to point to yesterday was KMainWindow auto-filling the translator info in the application metadata (see KMainWindowPrivate::init(...), https://cgit.kde.org/kxmlgui.git/tree/src/kmainwindow.cpp#n239). But we also found that this actually has nothing to do with the Q*App instance vs. KAboutData instance (besides KMainWindow expecting the QApp instance to exist and KApplicationData::setAppData() having been called).
The other mention was the TODO added by kf5/convert-kcmdlineargs.pl,
Sadly the commit which added that TODO does it only as side-effect and without any reasoning: https://cgit.kde.org/kde-dev-scripts.git/commit/kf5/convert-kcmdlineargs.pl?id=ac74bc07de810ef5a51a3030bfa96980f72ad8b1
And from all code path I have seen there is nothing in the KAboutData constructor which requires a QApp instance. And the related i18n calls also are said nowhere said to require a QApp instance.
@dfaure The above being your commit, do you remember (he, only 2 years ago ;) ) your motivation for that TODO?

REPOSITORY
  R244 KCoreAddons