Section of man pages shipped with Frameworks

Luigi Toscano luigi.toscano at tiscali.it
Mon Apr 10 20:46:08 UTC 2017

Aleix Pol ha scritto:
> On Sat, Apr 8, 2017 at 9:31 PM, Luigi Toscano <luigi.toscano at tiscali.it> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> I was checking the manpages shipped with Frameworks.
>> I know that this is not the most existing topics, but: can I move the man
>> pages currently in section 8 (System management commands) to section 1 (User
>> commands (Programs))? The program documented are definitely not administrative
>> programs.
>>
>> The current status is reported below. In any case I'm going to move meinproc5.
>> If there are no objections, I will do all the changes before Frameworks 5.34.
>>

>> = Section 1:
>> preparetips5 (kconfigwidgets)
>> kf5-config (kdelibs4support)
>> kgendesignerplugin (kdesignerplugin)
>> checkXML5 (kdoctools)
>> kjs5 (kjs)
>> kjscmd5 (kjsembed)
>> kpackagetool5 (kpackage)
>> kf5kross (kross)
>> kwallet-query (kwallet)
>> plasmapkg2 (plasma-framework)
>>

>> = Section 7:
>> kf5options (kdoctools)
>> qt5options (kdoctools)
>>

>> = Section 8 (-> proposed for section 1).
>> kded5 (kded)
>> meinproc5 (kdoctools)
>> kdeinit5 (kinit)
>> kcookiejar5 (kio)
>> desktoptojson (kservice)
>> kbuildsycoca5 (kservice)
>
> It's not like kded5 is a "program" per se, though.
> They are quite internal applications and arguably shouldn't even be on
> the PATH (but libexec).
>
> I can see why they don't fit in Section 8, but maybe the solution is
> to move the documentation somewhere else altogether?

I would keep the documention as long as the program in publicly-accessible
locations (aka PATH and not libexec). If anyone have any idea if it makes
sense to move it to libexec, sure, feel free to :)

But apart from that, which can probably stay as it is, I would say that all
the others can be moved to section 1 even now. Does anyone disagree?

Ciao
--
Luigi