Section of man pages shipped with Frameworks

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Sun Apr 9 22:46:00 UTC 2017

On Sat, Apr 8, 2017 at 9:31 PM, Luigi Toscano <luigi.toscano at tiscali.it> wrote:
> Hi all,
> I was checking the manpages shipped with Frameworks.
> I know that this is not the most existing topics, but: can I move the man
> pages currently in section 8 (System management commands) to section 1 (User
> commands (Programs))? The program documented are definitely not administrative
> programs.
>
> The current status is reported below. In any case I'm going to move meinproc5.
> If there are no objections, I will do all the changes before Frameworks 5.34.
>

> = Section 1:
> preparetips5 (kconfigwidgets)
> kf5-config (kdelibs4support)
> kgendesignerplugin (kdesignerplugin)
> checkXML5 (kdoctools)
> kjs5 (kjs)
> kjscmd5 (kjsembed)
> kpackagetool5 (kpackage)
> kf5kross (kross)
> kwallet-query (kwallet)
> plasmapkg2 (plasma-framework)
>

> = Section 7:
> kf5options (kdoctools)
> qt5options (kdoctools)
>

> = Section 8 (-> proposed for section 1).
> kded5 (kded)
> meinproc5 (kdoctools)
> kdeinit5 (kinit)
> kcookiejar5 (kio)
> desktoptojson (kservice)
> kbuildsycoca5 (kservice)

It's not like kded5 is a "program" per se, though.
They are quite internal applications and arguably shouldn't even be on
the PATH (but libexec).

I can see why they don't fit in Section 8, but maybe the solution is
to move the documentation somewhere else altogether?

(don't take that as a -1, just rambling)

Thanks for caring!

Aleix