Scrap baloo?

Dominik Haumann dhaumann at kde.org
Wed Sep 28 21:09:34 UTC 2016

On Wed, Sep 28, 2016 at 7:09 PM, David Edmundson
<david at davidedmundson.co.uk> wrote:
> Generally speaking, in terms of Plasma feedback, Baloo doesn't come up
> /that/ much.
> I'm sure there's stuff in the bug tracker, but we don't have the big public
> problem that we used to have.
>
> I think your problems are exagerrated because of the NFS mount.

I don't think this discussion is really that much about NFS mounts.
NFS mounts are just one issue among many.

The most pressing issues are entirely missing error handling in baloo,
which was already brought up in previous mails the last weeks.

See:
- https://bugs.kde.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=CONFIRMED&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&list_id=1390073&product=frameworks-baloo&query_format=advanced
- https://bugs.kde.org/reports.cgi?product=frameworks-baloo&output=show_chart&datasets=ASSIGNED&datasets=REOPENED&datasets=UNCONFIRMED&datasets=CONFIRMED

Out of these bugs, 49 are crashes, and probably not all easy to fix -
Christoph already fixed some and triaged 200 bugs, so I also think he
knows what he is talking about :-)

> The only problem we have is the runner bringing down the shell when we have
> the corrupt database - and from the comments above, that should be
> catchable.

I sent a mail to plasma-devel some weeks ago, mentioning that baloo is
in a bad shape.

If you want stability in Plasma, we / you need to fix baloo - and not
by writing an own DB or other experiments. This is about getting
things done.

Greetings
Dominik