LGPL for Breeze QStyle and qtquickcontrols?

Hugo Pereira Da Costa hugo.pereira.da.costa at gmail.com
Mon May 30 11:18:02 UTC 2016

On 05/30/2016 12:33 AM, Aleix Pol wrote:
> On Mon, May 23, 2016 at 9:38 AM, Martin Graesslin <mgraesslin at kde.org> wrote:
>> On Sunday, May 22, 2016 12:22:28 AM CEST Jaroslaw Staniek wrote:
>>> So we, in KDE, lack LGPL style code for our de-facto official look and feel.
>> This is the crucial point. Breeze is not the de-facto official look and feel of
>> KDE. It's the look and feel of Plasma.
> Let's stop there, please. I know where you come from, but here we're
> being unhelpful for little reason. The fact that Plasma uses Breeze
> doesn't mean that it's Plasma's property. In fact, it's how QtQuick is
> shaping up to work for us, shunning Breeze for non-Plasma KDE
> applications puts several projects in jeopardy.
>
> We need to decide what we want before assuming everything is set.
Hi,

I am getting so confused by this thread I must say (and by the overall
tone of it).
Could someone summarize
1/ which part of the following breeze subdirectories would be concerned
by the change ? (I keep hearing about icons, but they are not in the
same repo, and by qtquickcontrols but I thought this was handled
elsewhere and passed to the QStyle, while the directory here is just a
"preview" of how breeze should look)

- cursors
- kdecoration
- kstyle
- lookandfeel.dark
- misc
- printing
- qtquickcontrols

2/ what would be the reason and use case for making the change, and for
instance what someone would effectively do with say breeze/kstyle being
LGPL that he/she cannot do with it being GPL. (in clear, concrete words,
with example)

3/ which projects presently are in jeopardy, how and why ? (again:
clear/simple words please)

Sorry if this was already said elsewhere, but the thread is already
long, a lot of things have been said, and a lot has been chopped.

Thanks,

Hugo