dbus-less frameworks on osx

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Wed May 11 08:52:55 UTC 2016

On Wed, May 11, 2016 at 6:39 PM, Kevin Funk <kfunk at kde.org> wrote:
> On Wednesday, May 11, 2016 7:38:58 AM CEST Martin Graesslin wrote:
>> On Wednesday, May 11, 2016 4:00:45 AM CEST Nick Shaforostoff wrote:
>> > hi all! I'm investigating possibility of getting some kde apps to build on
>> > osx with vanilla Qt without dbus.
>> >
>> > would you accept patches that make that possible?
>
> +1

I'm also in favour of this, mainly as D-Bus doesn't really belong on
those platforms, and if I recall correctly people have had issues with
false positives from Windows antimalware programs flagging D-Bus code
in the past.

> I looked into that a while ago, but quickly discarded the idea, because QtDBus
> was just so broadly used in KF5. Just checked again, and it appeared to me
> it's indeed doable, when skipping a few frameworks (see below).
>
> FYI: Just scan frameworks for "include.+QDBus", you'll hits in the following
> repositories:
>
> bluez-qt
> kactivities
> kactivities-stats
> kauth
> kbookmarks
> kcmutils
> kconfigwidgets
> kdbusaddons
> kded
> kdelibs4support
> kdnssd
> kglobalaccel
> khtml
> kiconthemes
> kinit
> kio
> kmediaplayer
> knotifications
> knotifyconfig
> kservice
> kwallet
> kxmlgui
> modemmanager-qt
> networkmanager-qt
> solid
>
> bluez-qt, modemmanager-qt, networkmanager-qt are heavy users of QtDBus, but
> are normally not needed for the majority of our KDE apps. I'd leave them as-
> is.

They're also rather pointless outside of Linux (Windows and Mac have
their own interfaces/services for that stuff anyway)

> Solid is another heavy user, but only in the Linux-specific backends iiuc, so
> not a problem.
>
> You'll have some fun getting kio to built without DBus, tons of uses of QtDBus
> there.
>
> The other frameworks only use QtDBus in a few places, definitely possible to
> make them optional. A few of them are not needed on OS X/Windows anyway -- say
> kded, kactivities, etc. -- not sure if they need to be dbus-less.
>
> IOW: Go ahead! :)
>
> Cheers,
> Kevin

Regards,