dbus-less frameworks on osx

Kevin Funk kfunk at kde.org
Wed May 11 06:39:57 UTC 2016

On Wednesday, May 11, 2016 7:38:58 AM CEST Martin Graesslin wrote:
> On Wednesday, May 11, 2016 4:00:45 AM CEST Nick Shaforostoff wrote:
> > hi all! I'm investigating possibility of getting some kde apps to build on
> > osx with vanilla Qt without dbus.
> >
> > would you accept patches that make that possible?

+1

I looked into that a while ago, but quickly discarded the idea, because QtDBus
was just so broadly used in KF5. Just checked again, and it appeared to me
it's indeed doable, when skipping a few frameworks (see below).

FYI: Just scan frameworks for "include.+QDBus", you'll hits in the following
repositories:

bluez-qt
kactivities
kactivities-stats
kauth
kbookmarks
kcmutils
kconfigwidgets
kdbusaddons
kded
kdelibs4support
kdnssd
kglobalaccel
khtml
kiconthemes
kinit
kio
kmediaplayer
knotifications
knotifyconfig
kservice
kwallet
kxmlgui
modemmanager-qt
networkmanager-qt
solid

bluez-qt, modemmanager-qt, networkmanager-qt are heavy users of QtDBus, but
are normally not needed for the majority of our KDE apps. I'd leave them as-
is.

Solid is another heavy user, but only in the Linux-specific backends iiuc, so
not a problem.

You'll have some fun getting kio to built without DBus, tons of uses of QtDBus
there.

The other frameworks only use QtDBus in a few places, definitely possible to
make them optional. A few of them are not needed on OS X/Windows anyway -- say
kded, kactivities, etc. -- not sure if they need to be dbus-less.

IOW: Go ahead! :)

Cheers,
Kevin