KWidgetsAddons License (included breeze icons)

David Faure faure at kde.org
Wed Mar 2 08:38:22 UTC 2016

On Tuesday 01 March 2016 10:48:16 Andre Heinecke wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to implement a similiar "Show Password" functionality as
> KPasswordDialog from KWidgetsAddons has in GnuPG's pinentry.
>
> I'd like to use the same Icons for this, but Pinentry is GPLv2 or Later while
> breeze is LGPLv3. As I want to include them directly in the Source (without
> need for theme) this would mean changing the License of Pinentry which would
> basically mean I can't use those icons.
>
> But both Icons I'd like to use are also part of KWidgetsAddons.
> So, does this mean the icons are licensed (as part of KWidgetsaddons) under
> LGPLv2 or is KWidgetsAddons LGPLv3 and did not have the COPYING files updated?
>
> I've tried contacting the Author of the Icons to ask directly about this but I
> have not received a reply. (Probably a wrong mail)

About the KWidgetsAddons license: I see that most files have "2 or later", but indeed
kmessagebox.cpp (at least) says "2 only".

Changing that to "2 or 3", says kde-dev-scripts/relicensecheck.pl, would need permission
from 9 people:

- lgplv23:
  blackie (   2 LOC): 085d737
  mpartap (   5 LOC): ad90d3d
    valir ( 175 LOC): 6717325,8ad3643,ed45f4b,de63ecb,98af1a1,42ad34c,395aeb3,28798e9,b3c57a2
 huynhhuu (   1 LOC): 061bf53
  hadacek (  13 LOC): 4d2fb10,787f428
     mutz (   5 LOC): e8fe529,5a595f0,a2ec044,7aab414
ksvladimir (  27 LOC): 2edb719,c2a8111
  phalynx (  20 LOC): 1988852
   goutte (   2 LOC): 69a5299

I have been playing that game with karchive for a while (chasing people and asking them
for permission), I'll do a few more, but I have a feeling it won't work out (e.g. already tried contacting N. Goutte).

Anyway.
I thought most of the time, icons were not actually licensed under the same license as the
code they're in, but the license of the theme they come from - e.g. oxygen is LGPL v3.
However in t he case of pinentry I have no idea - was the icon made by a KDE artist, or an external contributor?

Working on KDE Frameworks 5