opening dialogs using a "foreign" WId

Martin Graesslin mgraesslin at kde.org
Fri Jan 29 07:02:13 UTC 2016

On Thursday, January 28, 2016 5:28:24 PM CET René J. V. Bertin wrote:
> René J. V. Bertin wrote:
> > Which is all I'm hinting at, and certainly not that a single (or small
> > group of) person(s) implement this for all platforms.
>
> Of course, if cross-process WIds are basically only usable under X11/Xcb one
> could probably replace their use with something that encapsulates them and
> adds whatever information is required so that comparable behaviour
> (functionality) can be obtained on all supported platforms? In the case of
> the kwalletd example that could mean
> - the password request is posted in a suitable foreground layer where it
> won't go unnoticed
> - once handled, the application for which the request was posted is brought
> back to the foreground if (say) kwalletd pushed itself to the front and was
> allowed to stay there. I don't know about Wayland, but that kind of action
> is possible on OS X (though not currently via an existing Qt API).

To put it simple: we as in Plasma are not interested in a compromise based on
the least common denominator of all platforms. We want the best possible
experience. And if you ask the question: what would Apple do? You would also
want to go for the best possible experience.

So what we need is a way that each platform can implement it in the best
possible way. X11 made it too easy. We got a crappy implementation, the
desktop team was not involved.

As frameworks cannot depend on KWayland any solution we come up with for our
platform will be based on plugins. Thus also other platforms can implement
plugins.

On the general implementation I must ask for patience. Fixing KWallet on
Wayland is not yet on our TODO list.

Cheers
Martin