opening dialogs using a "foreign" WId

René J. V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Thu Jan 28 16:28:24 UTC 2016

René J. V. Bertin wrote:

> Which is all I'm hinting at, and certainly not that a single (or small group
> of) person(s) implement this for all platforms.

Of course, if cross-process WIds are basically only usable under X11/Xcb one
could probably replace their use with something that encapsulates them and adds
whatever information is required so that comparable behaviour (functionality)
can be obtained on all supported platforms? In the case of the kwalletd example
that could mean
- the password request is posted in a suitable foreground layer where it won't
go unnoticed
- once handled, the application for which the request was posted is brought back
to the foreground if (say) kwalletd pushed itself to the front and was allowed
to stay there. I don't know about Wayland, but that kind of action is possible
on OS X (though not currently via an existing Qt API).

R.