Mac: kbuildsycoca5 and kded5 deadloop *somewhere* after upgrading to Qt 5.7.1

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Fri Dec 30 17:08:11 UTC 2016

Hi,

I am in the process of upgrading to Qt 5.7.1 . While porting my Qt5 patches and building was largely a no-brainer and most applications seem to work without issues, there are (at least) 2 annoying exceptions among basic KF5 apps:

- kded5 deadloops somewhere
- kbuildsysoca5 idem.

In addition, my KDevelop 4.7 install that works fine when I have Qt 5.6.2 active now crashes randomly because of an illegal operation *in a Mac SDK library*. That doesn't seem to make sense, yet it's reproducible.

On Mac we might be able to do without kded5, but I don't think we can do without kbuildsycoca5 .
My analoguous Linux build isn't finished yet so I cannot say whether this is Mac-specific or something that may have to do with the way I install things.

Does anyone have any suggestion where I might start looking? I already tried to run under lldb, interrupt once the deadloop was clearly installed and try to step out of functions to get an idea of that loop. Didn't really work; at some point lldb just stops co-operating ("error: Couldn't find thread plan to implement step type.").

There is a difference between 5.6.2 and 5.7.1 in the native QStandardPaths locations that are returned. I don't use those for writing, but if for instance kbuildsysoca5 parses everything under the GenericCacheLocation it will now have to wade through over 3.5Gb of crud, and that would of course take "a bit" more time.

Thanks...

R.