To C++11 or not?

Christoph Cullmann cullmann at absint.com
Fri Dec 30 15:05:03 UTC 2016

Hi,

>> Our min requirement is Qt 5.5 which according to
>> http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/supported-platforms-and-configurations.html
>> compiles with GCC 4.6 (Qt 5.6 has the same supported GCC it seems)
>
> Then that's a no-brainer, we can require gcc 4.6 too.
>
> Qt 5.9 (currently "git dev branch") uses override rather than Q_DECL_OVERRIDE,
> but we're far from requiring 5.9.
>
> This leads to a different proposal:
> - Raise min GCC version to 4.6
> - Allow to use nullptr unconditionally
> - Use Q_DECL_OVERRIDE.
>
> I fully agree that "having 'override' is actually super useful for preventing
> programmer faults", but that also works if it's spelled out Q_DECL_OVERRIDE
> and only ineffective for people *using* frameworks on an older system with gcc
> 4.6. It's still effective for all of us who are working on frameworks, which
> is where the benefit of "override" is.
>
> BTW just to get a taste of the real world, I'm working with a customer right
> now who is using Qt 5 and gcc 4.4 in order for their binaries to work on the
> largest possible number of Linux distros out there (glibc version). They are
> not using KDE Frameworks, obviously, but this is just to point out that there
> are companies using older gcc versions still, this is not just hypothetical.
>
> Funny that I kept saying "MSVC is what's holding us back" when in fact it's
> GCC that is holding us back ;)
:=) Actually I wonder why somebody should do that given you get even from Red Hat (or CentOs)
GCC 4.8 or now even 4.9 for the 6.x series that will allow you to deploy on any system
that is really out there and able to run Qt 5 (For CentOS 5 you get similar new GCCs,
but that has other issues)

(and we do that for our customers since ever)

Greetings
Christoph

--
AbsInt Angewandte Informatik GmbH      Email: cullmann at AbsInt.com