Question about goal of Windows/Mac frameworks

Christoph Cullmann cullmann at absint.com
Fri Oct 23 17:54:06 UTC 2015

Hi ;=)

> Hi,
>
>> On Fri, 23 Oct 2015, Jaroslaw Staniek wrote:
>>
>>> Actually let's look as a popular ported standalone app: GTK/GNOME's
>>> help-browser that GIMP uses on Windows is the same as on Linux but I
>>> don't see it using dbus (but still webkitgtk is used). Moreover if
>>> someone caring for UX reads this: KDE's app help window calls itself
>>> KDE Help Center. Compare the complexity of KDE apps' help
>>> http://i.imgur.com/npgewCo.png to what GIMP has:
>>> http://i.imgur.com/kNKwrzK.png. I bet Krita devs won't like to share
>>> the help window with the KMail help (if it's even installed on
>>> Windows). And well, ToC (or the Home button) in that app is a ToC of
>>> "KDE", not the ToC of app :) You're welcome.
>>
>> For Krita, we decided ages ago to simply open a browser on the userbase
>> manual of Krita. Yes, it is conceivable that there are people who use
>> Krita without internet access who still need help, it's just not very
>> likely. About one complaint, maybe two in the past couple of years.
> Kate actually has a good maintained manual, thanks to TC. Hollingsworth and Co
> ;=)
>
> But even there, it might be simpler to just link to:

wrong click, missing:

https://docs.kde.org/stable5/en/applications/kate/index.html

At least better than require a khelpcenter on Windows ;=)

But yeah, we might just bundle the HTML or we generate a PDF, there are
for sure a lot of alternatives that will work offline with the documentation
we have at hands.

I just think that such things are the last steps.

At the moment you still have random crashs in a lot of places because of
unguarded dbus calls, KIO still needs some thoughts to work without global stuff
or hacked Qt and I want my https://git.reviewboard.kde.org/r/125760/ in, as otherwise
I still have no toolbar icons on win or mac without global installed themes :P

Greetings
Christoph

--
AbsInt Angewandte Informatik GmbH      Email: cullmann at AbsInt.com