icons packages with frameworks

Christoph Cullmann cullmann at absint.com
Thu Oct 22 08:15:21 UTC 2015

Hi,

> On Wednesday 21 October 2015 21:07:16 Christoph Cullmann wrote:
>> Hi,

>> > Agreed, we have frameworks (e.g. KIconThemes) "depending" on breeze, so it
>> > makes some kind of sense to ship them together.
>> yeah, beside that, if you want to create some self-contained installers,
>> you need breeze (or some other full iconset), too.
>>
>> Therefore it is nice if one can grab the release matching the framework release
>> one uses.
>
> I thought you wanted frameworks themselves to bundle icons rather
> than depend on a (large) icon theme.
> And I would agree -- I just don't know how this interacts with icon themes, i.e.
> is it a problem to have a single icon in the .qrc.
I just wanted to bundle all images that the frameworks ATM ship with themself
to be in resources instead of spread out in share/., for the icons they use via
fromTheme/KIconLoader we still need the icon theme icons.
Have no real solution for that beside just bundling an theme inside the application
package, for Kate/KWrite I just packed complete breeze into some binary resource file
and that will be loaded + set as theme, if found.

> But Martin's argument (apps should be able to depend on icons) is indeed
> a good reason to treat the default icon theme like a framework.
>
> I'm OK with releasing an icon theme with KF5, provided that it follows the
> KF5 rules/policies (buildsystem, versioning etc.) so that it doesn't have
> to be special-cased.
Nice ;=)

Greetings
Christoph

--
AbsInt Angewandte Informatik GmbH      Email: cullmann at AbsInt.com