icons packages with frameworks

David Faure faure at kde.org
Thu Oct 22 08:12:08 UTC 2015

On Wednesday 21 October 2015 21:07:16 Christoph Cullmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> >> So maybe this wouldn't be such a bad move after all.
> >
> > Agreed, we have frameworks (e.g. KIconThemes) "depending" on breeze, so it
> > makes some kind of sense to ship them together.
> yeah, beside that, if you want to create some self-contained installers,
> you need breeze (or some other full iconset), too.
>
> Therefore it is nice if one can grab the release matching the framework release one uses.

I thought you wanted frameworks themselves to bundle icons rather
than depend on a (large) icon theme.
And I would agree -- I just don't know how this interacts with icon themes, i.e.
is it a problem to have a single icon in the .qrc.

But Martin's argument (apps should be able to depend on icons) is indeed
a good reason to treat the default icon theme like a framework.

I'm OK with releasing an icon theme with KF5, provided that it follows the
KF5 rules/policies (buildsystem, versioning etc.) so that it doesn't have
to be special-cased.

(Notice I don't say oxygen or breeze, because I'm confused about that ;)

Working on KDE Frameworks 5