Policy for Dependencies

Christoph Cullmann cullmann at absint.com
Wed Oct 14 17:38:36 UTC 2015

Hi,

> Fwiw, KNotification+Phonon is used for KDialog sounds if frameworkintegration
> is present (iirc). So in theory, it should play a sound in Krita/Kate if you eg.
> close
> the window with unsaved content. If that adds anything to your app, I can't say.
>

> ^That's supposed to be KMessageBox, not KDialog, sorry.
>
> Well, no, nothing materially useful, sorry. If all messageboxes on
> Windows or OSX would beep, then Krita's message boxes should beep,
> much as I feel that computers shoulds be seen, not heard, but then,
> that would be the responsibility of Qt, as the cross-platform layer.
> It should be part of QMessageBox, not be added through an optional
> extra library.
>
> But then it makes me wonder if you actually need KNotifications altogether.
> I'm not aware of anyone actually testing KNotificaitons on win/mac and I
> personally wouldn't guarantee it works at all on !linux.
>
> Same for Kate - do you actually need KNotifications at all on win/mac?
> If not, it would be better to just drop that dep from Kate/Krita/whatever
> than split KNotifications package which isn't used anyway.
yeah, perhaps that is the next step, but not Kate depends on it but KParts.

And yeah, there is a lot of stuff that could be made optional there, too.

But I want first to have the "how to do it right", then I will do it.

Given that lot opposition was here for a 5 lines change which does break nothing
if packagers don't skrew up.

I am more than happy to  try to minimize the deps even more, but first, I really would like
to have a base line that works.

e.g. dbus: ATM I don't even try to compile without it, but just try to make things not crash
if we compile with it but have no dbus server running.

Greetings
Christoph

--
AbsInt Angewandte Informatik GmbH      Email: cullmann at AbsInt.com