Policy for Dependencies

Christoph Cullmann cullmann at absint.com
Wed Oct 14 14:59:06 UTC 2015

Hi,

> I disagree, phonon and dbus are available on OSX and could be made to work so
> having a ECM_BUILD_FOR_OSX_APPBUNDLE that disables perfectly valid features
> doesn't make sense to me.
>
> But what if those things don't add any feature to a particularly app? There's
> nothing that phonon or dbus or openssl actually add to an application like
> Krita.
>
> Fwiw, KNotification+Phonon is used for KDialog sounds if frameworkintegration
> is present (iirc). So in theory, it should play a sound in Krita/Kate if you eg.
> close
> the window with unsaved content. If that adds anything to your app, I can't say.
>
> ^That's supposed to be KMessageBox, not KDialog, sorry.
;=)

Yeah, and thats a valid thing to have.
Therefore I don't want to hard "forbid audio for bundling or for mac/win" but just an
weak "make it optional" to make it easy for people that want that audio feedback to
build it with and bundle it with such support.
Like people can just bundle QtSpeech stuff just fine, if they want, but are not required to
do so ;=)

Greetings
Christoph

--
AbsInt Angewandte Informatik GmbH      Email: cullmann at AbsInt.com