Version numbering at download location

Marko Käning mk-lists at mailbox.org
Mon Oct 5 19:14:00 UTC 2015

On 05 Oct 2015, at 10:08 , David Faure <faure at kde.org> wrote:

> On Monday 05 October 2015 09:34:04 Marko Käning wrote:
>> The issue is that the version regexp match should preferably
>> happen on a single web page. With this setup the full version numbers are spread over two dir
>> levels… :-(
>
> I'm not sure I understand which web page this is about.
> I can do things differently for hotfix releases on www.kde.org, but maybe this isn't what you meant?

In MacPorts the version check is usually done by downloading the web-page where the corresponding source
code archives can be grabbed from. This is usually a simple web-page created by source-forge, github,
bitbucket or the like…

Such a HTML page would contain all valid version numbers (together with other infos) of a given code-archive.
The regexp to be defined now grabs the version numbers in the desired format, i.e. x.y.z and thus allows
to cross-check all numbers found against the one currently in use be the installed version of the corresponding
software.

Yet, KF5’s approach means that you have at first a page where you get a choice between x.y’s and then at the
following page - a lever lower - you only start to see x.y.z refinements...

Does KDE perhaps have another overview web-page where for every code-archive distributed all currently available
versions are listed?! That would come very handy for me now!