setting default widgetStyle (and ColorScheme)

René J. V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 10:06:57 UTC 2015

Martin Graesslin wrote:

> In my opinion: no. I even think the frameworkintegration framework should get
> removed from frameworks and moved into Plasma Workspace. Because that's what
> it is about: integrating Qt applications into plasma.

I don't care where the framework is, but I do think users should have the choice
of enjoying all the effort that goes into making great KDE themes/styles on
platforms other than Linux (and at the same time have as close a visual
experience as possible using the same applications on different platforms, if
they chose so).

Qt does a good job in providing an appearance that matches up with the native
style, but it will always remain a compromise in cross-platform code. I cannot
really speak for MS Windows but I think that's very apparent on OS X where code
that lacks specific adaptations will use a single font and fontsize throughout
which isn't even configurable. (Lucida Grande 13pt or even 14pt, the font used in
buttons, menus and window titles, but rarely elsewhere in truly native
applications.)
To put it bluntly: many Qt applications that lack adaptation to OS X look-n-feel
appear designed for the visually (and motor) impaired: everything's just too big
and spacious. Not good and "professional looking" enough IMHO.

Of course one could work on improving the native theme, but wouldn't that be
easiest by writing a dedicated KDE theme? In fact, I ought to check what happens
if one selects the "Macintosh (aqua)" style as KDE's widget style and then
applies the font selection from the fonts kcm; maybe that'll resolve the main
issue with the native style on OS X.

BTW, it wasn't very complicated to get the platform theme plugin to function on
OS X without introducing function loss, see the RR I filed about it.

R.