Prunning KDeclarative dependencies

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Fri Nov 13 14:20:14 UTC 2015

Hi,
I've been thinking about looking into pushing Purpose as a framework. One
of its dependencies is KDeclarative, which means all of the things. In this
case KDeclarative is used for the i18n() integration.
I think this is especially bad because it raises the Qt Quick adoption
barrier quite a bit for KDE applications as well, that if they want to be
translated properly as a KDE project they'll need to depend on frameworks
like KIconThemes.

Alternatives proposed that come to mind:
- Make KI18n provide a class that does what KDeclarative::KDeclarative is
currently doing.
- Move the KIconTheme and KIO integration elsewhere (for example in
KIconTheme and KIO respectively) so that applications and frameworks can
decide actively to adopt them. This though would still leave a KPackage
dependency which is also rather big and probably unused by many of the
applications as well.

What do you think?

Aleix